The Irish surprised everyone with a smothering of the feared “option” attack. Tip of the hat to VanGorder and staff for an attacking defense that seemed to come from everywhere.
The DL played as hard as one can and Joe Schmidt was everywhere (10 tackles) as was Drue Tranquill until he was injured on a silly jump celebration. Usually it’s an ankle but this ended up as a season ending knee. From now on Kelly should only allow fist bumps – what a damn shame for Tranquill.
It seemed to me that Jaylon Smith, outside of a few plays, was missing in action. I always liked Mathias Farley and he did a superb job of filling in for Tranquill.
Greer Martini ILB seems to be the go to guy vs option teams. He had 8 tackles. All in all the defense played great until about the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter when GT scored 15 pts including an onside kick pickup. We need to practice this.
- Prosise had 198 yds rushing, including a 91 yd sprint. It is the longest ever in ND stadium.
- Fuller, this kid is super and he is a long ball expert. I would like to see a race with Prosise vs. Fuller except both would probably pull hamstring.
- Kizer played well and should only improve from here on.
- The OL still has blocking problems and Prosise was really getting banged around.
- The only downside was inability to get subs in when GT came to life in the 4th quarter.
- ND had 457 total yds and GT had 337 with only 216 rushing yds.
Now on to UMASS and lets hope the subs play the entire 2nd half and we don’t get the usual scramble to win going into the 4th quarter.
Here are the video highlight clips for you to enjoy: